What's new

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Was this the next nutter running amok over some perceived slight? Very sad indeed.

A man started a fire at a Kyoto animation studio after spraying a liquid there Thursday morning, leaving multiple people dead and nearly 40 others injured, local police and rescuers said. About 10 people were found lying unconscious on the second floor and were presumed dead, according to the police. The fire started at around 10:30 a.m. at a three-story studio of Kyoto Animation Co., a company known for producing popular TV animation series “K-On!”, “Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu” (“The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”), “A Silent Voice,” “Clannad” and “Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon” (“Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid”).

Kyoto Animation Co.

Wikipedia entry

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Just horrible. Been on the morning news. Not sure how many people have died or missing. Or even sent to the hospital.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Donor
Reaction score
This is pretty horrific. I first heard about it on my way back to Japan, seems that the death toll is now 33, which is nearly half of the people who were in the studio at the time :(

I admittedly don't know too much about anime, so I first assumed it had maybe something to do with working conditions, and maybe the arsonist was a disgruntled employee. My friend here assured me that KyoAni was one of the few "good ones" that treated their staff well, and were beloved among anime enthusiasts. The rumor I heard was that the guy thought they had stolen his story or idea or something.

Regardless, this is a disturbing tragedy :(

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
It appears as if this individual was very troubled. According to the article below, he robbed a convenience store in 2012 and threatened to kill his neighbours in Saitama where he resided. These vicious attacks on innocent "privileged" victims reveal some unsettling trends in Japanese society:

Nobuo Komiya, a Rissho University criminology professor, calls the attacks "suicidal terrorism," in which attackers typically see themselves as losers and target their anger on the society, often those who seem happy and successful. "Feeling angry at people who they think are winners, they tend to choose privileged people as targets," Komiya said. "They think they have nothing to lose, they don't care if they get caught or if they die." They are part of a growing trend that reflects a change in the Japanese society, where disparities are growing and ties among families, community and other groups have weakened and people are less obligated to follow the rules and be part of it, he said. "Japan shouldn't be complacent about its safety anymore. We should follow the U.S. and Europe and do more for risk management."

Seiko

Sempai
Reaction score
I think the person who did this may have wrote his own manga and shared it with someone who works for the company that company stole is story and present it to the company as his own trying to make a deal and a deal has been reach and he was upset about being kept out of it.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Several crowdfunding campaigns have raised the staggering amount of 275m yen in donations in just one day.