What's new

Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Undergraduate Scholarship 2017

rw2masayume

Kouhai
Reaction score
It seems that the results from the 2016 Monbukagakusho Scholarship are mostly in and since no one else has started this thread yet, I thought I would do the honors. I will be applying for the MEXT Undergrad Scholarship in March. The conversations I saw in the 2016 and 2015 undergraduate threads were very helpful so I thought the tradition could continue here. Seeing how this is my first time applying for this scholarship, I, and probably others, would like to know any information you have to offer about the application experience, tests, and interview.

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
Hello ^^
What would you like to know about the process? I applied for the 2015 scholarship but didn't make it. But I could answer some questions xD

Also, I won't be applying this year but just wanted to mention we have a LINE group for undergraduate applicants
If anyone wants to join add me and send me a message so I can put you in ^^
My ID's cynder757

rw2masayume

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello!
I will be doing Natural Science A for Physics, so when I began studying for the test I focused mostly on physics and math tests. Which tests did you take and how were they? Also how was the interview, and what type of questions did they ask you?

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
I went for social sciences so I only did math, English and Japanese.
Honestly, I can't really say much about math cause I suck at it, like really bad, so I couldn't really tell how difficult it was.
But math is definitely important to get a good score on, regardless of if you're going for social or natural science.
I didn't find English hard, though there were a few of those questions where you might screw up without realising so I suggest you proof read if you have the time.
Japanese is split into three categories: beginner, intermediate and advanced. For most countries, as far as I know, knowing Japanese is not necessary so even if you know Japanese I'd suggest you focus on the other subjects more.

The interview was...well, mine sucked xD
First they ask you to introduce yourself. They asked me a couple of questions and then went on to aks me stuff based on my application.
My chosen major was Japanese language.

What differences do you see between Japanese and other languages?
Would you study abroad in general (like not just Japan) and if yes, which countries?
Why do you like Japanese?
They also asked me to speak in Japanese.
There were more questions but I've unfortunately forgotten the majority.. ._.

VIcente Ferrari

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying too! I live in Chile so luckily there won't be much competition on the test. I'm in junior high school (3rd year out of 4) So I'm gonna need a letter from my principal saying he promises I'll graduate hahaha. Either way I'm very excited and I hope to see you all next year in fricking Japan! 😄

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
Actually, I think Chile has quite a few applicants ^^;
Also, you'll need to have graduated by March 2017 to apply for this year.

VIcente Ferrari

Registered
Reaction score
Last year was only 55 people that showed up for the tests. I graduate around November 2016 so that isn't an issue.

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
I see~ though that's very few compared to other countries, it's still plenty and it's very competitive~
Aah, sweet ^^

rw2masayume

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thanks for the list of questions asked! That really helped! I don't know how many people apply in my region. How did you guys find out how many people applied?

VIcente Ferrari

Registered
Reaction score
I've called the Japanese embassy in my country a few times to ask general questions and one of them was how many came last year, they told me around 55.

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
We don't really have many applicants to begin with really..I was told by the embassy that the years before I applied (2014) that we usually had 2-3 people applying for undergrad. But the last couple of years there were 10. Though in my case three didn't show up so 7 xD

Though it depends on the embassy. I've heard cases where they refuse to reveal certain info such as this. But they're the best ones to ask~

Last edited:

tariq

後輩
Reaction score
hey
i am from tunisia and i'm going to apply for undergraduate scholarship Natural Science A (physics or chemistry)
last year the undergraduate scholarship was suspended in tunisia so i hope it won't be the case this year either
i called the embassy but they said that they don't know yet:(

Squishy

先輩
Reaction score
Wow, how come they suspended it? o.o
I hope you get to apply!

tariq

後輩
Reaction score
Wow, how come they suspended it? o.o
I hope you get to apply!
thanks dude
it's really annoying to wait until april in order to know if it will be suspended this year or not
i am preparing for the examination but i m still afraid that my work goes in vain after all:cry:
:cry:

Atousa

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi guys!! ;)
I'm new to the forum. I'm really happy to know you here guys. The thing is, you all are from different countries but all of you are trying to help each other & that's really a good thing--I think!
Well... I am from Iran. I'm in grade 12 of high school this year and I'll be applying for Monbukagakusho Scholarship 2017, for undergrauate courses.
I'm going to apply for Natural Science C ((Medicine)).
Is there anybody who can help me? Or at least be on the same boat with me? ^^

Last edited:

Varel

後輩
Reaction score
Count me in!
I'm from India.
I'll apply for natural sciences,mechanical engineering......or may be electrical...confused really.
I'd like to know about the interview and the application screening.
The competition is tough as hell here.The embassy won't tell me anything,'please check the website they say'.I've nearly completed high school,and I am nervous as hell.
And sorry for writing 'hell'.

Varel

後輩
Reaction score
Hi guys!! ;)
I'm new to the forum. I'm really happy to know you here guys. The thing is, you all are from different countries but all of you are trying to help each other & that's really a good thing--I think!
Well... I am from Iran. I'm in grade 12 of high school this year and I'll be applying for Monbukagakusho Scholarship 2017, for undergrauate courses.
I'm going to apply for Natural Science C ((Medicine)).
Is there anybody who can help me? Or at least be on the same boat with me? ^^
'Same boat'?Yeah,somewhat.I'm opting for chemical studies or metallurgy.
Try the sample papers chem is easy,physx tougher,maths toughest.
English?Depends on you.

Atousa

Kouhai
Reaction score
'Same boat'?Yeah,somewhat.I'm opting for chemical studies or metallurgy.
Try the sample papers chem is easy,physx tougher,maths toughest.
English?Depends on you.
Hi, Varel :D
Well, as I'll be applying for medicine, I don't have to take Physics. But I wish you luck doing it!
About Chemistry, yeah I do agree with you, it's easy..But Math needs more practice, but it'll be fine!
Good job.

Atousa

Kouhai
Reaction score
However, my doubts are mostly about Biology paper. Anyone studying biology for natural science C here?

Frank24

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello for people who reads this! Haha, lol
I'm going to apply for 2017 MEXT Scholarship, too! Hahaha...
Well, good luck to all of us! :D

Matheus

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm aplying this year for natural sciences A too. I wish you all a good exam :) . But is there a place where i can find para exam? Because in study in Japan I can only find two of them. Thank you :)

tariq

後輩
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm aplying this year for natural sciences A too. I wish you all a good exam :) . But is there a place where i can find para exam? Because in study in Japan I can only find two of them. Thank you :)
hello dude
check this link it may help you i guess :)
Government-sponsored

Arisa28

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, fellow applicants :)
Poland here.
I have some questions about the scholarship that have been bugging me; I'd be very thankful if somebody could help me find answers.
1. Firstly, I often read that the Japanese section of the exam hardly matters (I'm around N3-N2 right now, btw); if so, then what does matter? For humanities, you only need to take basic maths, Japanese, and English (and the last must be a blast for native English speakers...). What does it take to get chosen? I surely hope it's not luck (don't have any).
2. How do they decide which university to place you in? I doubt everybody can get a place at Todai...
3. I've read somewhere that choosing a major marked as "others" in the application form can lead to there not being a university willing to accept you. For humanities, there were very few faculties like literature, history etc, and then the "others". Will there be problems if I'm dead set on psychology or international relations?
Thanks in advance and I wish everyone luck!

Atousa

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello, fellow applicants :)
Poland here.
I have some questions about the scholarship that have been bugging me; I'd be very thankful if somebody could help me find answers.
1. Firstly, I often read that the Japanese section of the exam hardly matters (I'm around N3-N2 right now, btw); if so, then what does matter? For humanities, you only need to take basic maths, Japanese, and English (and the last must be a blast for native English speakers...). What does it take to get chosen? I surely hope it's not luck (don't have any).
2. How do they decide which university to place you in? I doubt everybody can get a place at Todai...
3. I've read somewhere that choosing a major marked as "others" in the application form can lead to there not being a university willing to accept you. For humanities, there were very few faculties like literature, history etc, and then the "others". Will there be problems if I'm dead set on psychology or international relations?
Thanks in advance and I wish everyone luck!
Hi.
You'd better contact your embassy. 'Cause your case is a little different.
Try to contact them, and explain everything you have doubts about. They may help you find your answers!