What's new

HikariSakae

後輩
Reaction score
Another Nagoya University researcher! Hello!

I will be in the Graduate School of Humanities this October. : )
Hi Centuries! Nice to meet you.

Are you going to G30 Program (International Program) or General Program (where you will study with Japanese students)?

Centuries

後輩
Reaction score
Hi Centuries! Nice to meet you.

Are you going to G30 Program (International Program) or General Program (where you will study with Japanese students)?
G30 - my Japanese is definitely not up to snuff. What about you??

Itasimisete

後輩
Reaction score
Hey!

First of all, I am sorry to hear you got rejected this time around. I would absolutely encourage you to try again.

If you go back to the MEXT thread for 2017, you will see two members in particular who were on their THIRD time applying that year - and both got accepted! I believe both were active in the previous year's thread for MEXT as well. When I went for my interview, one of the other applicants there was on his second try.

There are many factors that can attribute to being rejected, like the proposal, language level, quota/budget, that year's competition, etc. What matters when you reapply are the ones you can control. Rework your research proposal and study the language over the course of this year. I can only speak from my experience, but I think I won the spot at my consulate because my research pertained to something very specific that was happening within the next two years in Japan in my field. I was just talking to someone the other day whose friend is in Japan on MEXT studying gender studies through visual kei. A popular YouTuber who talks about MEXT describes her winning research proposal as being focused on business start-ups surrounding the Tokyo Olympics.
Thank you for your elaborate answer. This is good to know, especially since I got close to none information about anything particular about this scholarship in my own country (spots available, how many people apply +/- and how many people have actually gotten the scholarship in the past). I actually feel like, after reading your comment, I should have put in my other proposal. I actually wrote two as I have a broad interest in researching particular parts of the Japanese communication flows (as I am a Communication/Media Design major) and after discussing both proposals with some of my Japanese peers & Japanese studies students who I know I decided on one proposal.

After reading this, I feel like I should have picked the other proposal. But I am also slightly worried about my average GPA. I have the feeling I might never make the cut because during the final stage of my bachelor my teachers did a bad number on me for my end project thanks to external factors which ended up screwing my total average a lot unfortuantly.

Knowing that other people got lucky by trying it again (and again) is good motivation to maybe send it in again next year. I just feel really bad for all the people who have helped me out and spend time reading my proposal, I completely disappointed them by not even getting considered ..

Centuries

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you for your elaborate answer. This is good to know, especially since I got close to none information about anything particular about this scholarship in my own country (spots available, how many people apply +/- and how many people have actually gotten the scholarship in the past)...
Everyone applying for this is in the same boat. That information is not made readily available, so everyone goes in blind.

Take a look at past threads and you will see forum members who have repeatedly applied, been rejected and eventually accepted.

And don't beat yourself up for not getting through on your very first try. Like I mentioned, there are so many factors that can lead to rejection - all you can really do is try your best. Revisit your proposals and try again.

SonalK9j

後輩
Reaction score
Is there any anyone from kyoto university, I have cleared the entrance exam of kyodai for post graduate studies,I want to know about the scholarships and procedure, I have checked the university website, but little bit confuse about the procedure. Do I have to apply for it or professor and university will directly recommend me for the scholarship?

HikariSakae

後輩
Reaction score
Perhaps you may want to email the international student advisor of your perspective school. They recently provided me the information of my dorm on Friday
Really? Btw, I am Sakae from Graduate School of Economics. How about you

Centuries

後輩
Reaction score
Yes! I got my dorm information and what to do immediately after I land. I'm in the Graduate school of Education and Human Development!
Hey to you both! I just got my dorm information and flight information too! So excited!! I am flying out of Boston on the 24th!

Alexaandra12

後輩
Reaction score
Hey to you both! I just got my dorm information and flight information too! So excited!! I am flying out of Boston on the 24th!
My flight flies out from Atlanta on the 24th as well. However, I was told my flight was changed so the travel agency should get back with me soon. I am very excited as well.

I would like to ask, are you planning to buy a cellphone in Japan or getting a sim card?

Centuries

後輩
Reaction score
My flight flies out from Atlanta on the 24th as well. However, I was told my flight was changed so the travel agency should get back with me soon. I am very excited as well.

I would like to ask, are you planning to buy a cellphone in Japan or getting a sim card?
I have an iphone and plan on trying the sim card first.

The dorm I was assigned to takes two weeks to set up wifi, so I am a little worried about that. : x

HikariSakae

後輩
Reaction score
I also got the dormitory information as well. However, I haven't received any notice related to orientation or enrollment procedures.
Where are you guys' dormitory? Mine is Myouken.

Alexaandra12

後輩
Reaction score
I
I also got the dormitory information as well. However, I haven't received any notice related to orientation or enrollment procedures.
Where are you guys' dormitory? Mine is Myouken.
International Residence Yamate North!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First of all, congrats to you all!

I would like to know if you can share here the Universities which you named in placement preference form.
My aim is to understand the placement by the MEXT. Most of you have given atleast one name in the preference form. If you can respond with something like for example -

1. National
2. Private !
3. Public

! - means I was placed here.
1, 2, 3 will be University names or just National , Public, or Private, anything you comfortable to share.

I am asking for this because I am very nervous about the secondary screening and placement. I read that few applicants could not make it even after getting LOA. So, thought of asking the successful candidates about their university preference and selection.

Thank you all.

DanielChris

Registered
Reaction score
I want to apply for Undergraduate student but I don't know how much my highschool grades matter. I don’t have bad grades, they’re better than average but they’re not perfect. Do they care that much about this aspect?I only have average grades at math and chemistry.