What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate students) 2018

Alyssa

Kouhai
Reaction score
Is there any country get result for graduate level? I'm fed up with waiting. The result comes too late. In previous years, we got result for undergraduate and graduate students at the same time. But this years, in my country, when embassy released result for undergraduates one week ago, they also said that graduate students are still under selection. I wonder there is something change in their selection process.

Centuries

Kouhai
Reaction score
Is there any country get result for graduate level? I'm fed up with waiting. The result comes too late. In previous years, we got result for undergraduate and graduate students at the same time. But this years, in my country, when embassy released result for undergraduates one week ago, they also said that graduate students are still under selection. I wonder there is something change in their selection process.
I'm wondering the same... why is it so late?

fanfan13

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me a bit of advice.

So I mentioned a few weeks ago that I got a unofficial notification from my prospective prof. that I got accepted at their university. Earlier this week, a different prof. emailed me essentially saying that I didn't get accepted at another university.

Is it normal to explain to the other prof. that I'm going to a different choice university than theirs? I don't want to offend this prof by saying I chose someone else's lab over theirs. Or is it even too early to say for sure?

I feel bad, after taking the time to talk with them about potential projects and such, only to end up going to a different place. I feel like I owe them for their support... Am I just over thinking things?

Sorry for the venting. I really should be excited right now, but I just can't shake off the feeling that I'm backstabbing the other prof. right now...

This is the first time I've heard about this. So, basically you second choice's professor told you that you didn't make it to their university? It means second choice university also got notified by MEXT, right? Did the professor mention the reason why you didn't get accepted in that university?

I don't know what to do if I were in your position, because we haven't received any official results from the embassy yet. If we did, at least we could say to the professor that it was MEXT who decided what university we got placed in (without saying about priorities) so it's all MEXT's decision. An awardee said to me that the professor will understand if we say that.

It's normal to feel that way if we asked for more than one LOA. This is why my lecturers back then said that I should reject the other professor in the beginning and only requested for one LOA, one of the reasons is to avoid this kind of uncomfortable situation. But I didn't listen to them and now I don't know what to say to my second choice professor if MEXT places me in my first choice university.

fanfan13

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I wonder why...
My embassy said it will be in early december, either this week or next week, so at least it is still within the time range.

Abdul Mannan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Guess I am posting late here. But, I have been reading the comments here and I find them really helpful.
My first choice is Todai. I got the LOA but haven't received any email from my prospective supervisor. Not even from my second and third choice.
It could be because I didn't have any talk with my prospective supervisor. I just applied through the international student office and got selected. Since this all went through a proper channel -- for Todai -- I am not sure if I should email my professor.
So I have to wait for the announcement by embassy......

beingmani

後輩
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Guess I am posting late here. But, I have been reading the comments here and I find them really helpful.
My first choice is Todai. I got the LOA but haven't received any email from my prospective supervisor. Not even from my second and third choice.
It could be because I didn't have any talk with my prospective supervisor. I just applied through the international student office and got selected. Since this all went through a proper channel -- for Todai -- I am not sure if I should email my professor.
So I have to wait for the announcement by embassy......
Hi Abdul
Which dept in todai?

AlveroKWN

後輩
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Is there any Tsukuba University Research student candidate that will take University Recommendation program? I heard that the documents we need to prepare for university recommendation program issued along December. Does anybody know an info about this?? I sure don't want to miss the application period.

Thanks

Santanu

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Is there any Tsukuba University Research student candidate that will take University Recommendation program? I heard that the documents we need to prepare for university recommendation program issued along December. Does anybody know an info about this?? I sure don't want to miss the application period.

Thanks

Hey Alvero. It's Santanu here. People here are maximum from Embassy recommendation.
I don't aware of University application guidelines although particularly replying u as I'm applying in University of Tsukuba . .

AlveroKWN

後輩
Reaction score
Hey Alvero. It's Santanu here. People here are maximum from Embassy recommendation.
I don't aware of University application guidelines although particularly replying u as I'm applying in University of Tsukuba . .
Hello Santanu, nice to meet you.
I see, maybe I will ask at another thread. Thank you for your reply.
May I know what department you will be joining in? Mine Physics.

Santanu

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello Santanu, nice to meet you.
I see, maybe I will ask at an....................
Hey nice to meet u too. I'm applying in the Department of Life & Environmental Sciences.
May I ask if you submitted the documents to the University ? I think the application deadline was November if I'm not wrong.

AlveroKWN

後輩
Reaction score
Hey nice to meet u too. I'm applying in the Department of Life & Environmental Sciences.
May I ask if you submitted the documents to the University ? I think the application deadline was November if I'm not wrong.
for university recommendation program, I was informed that the application opened along December by my professor. However I still did not any information up until now on Tsukuba's website nor MEXT website itself. That is why I thought to ask here before asking my professor, hoping maybe there are people who know something.

suny

Kouhai
Reaction score
hello guys,

Is there any one here from social science field (master )? I am facing a problem, I found out that all of the classes in my first choice university are in Japanese only ! nothing in English !!! And it would be very hard for me . is there any one else facing the same problem? even if I study japanese for one year, again it is hard to pass the exams in Japanese ....please share you ideas and advices... i am so stressed...

suny

Kouhai
Reaction score
hello guys,

Is there any one here from social science field (master )? I am facing a problem, I found out that all of the classes in my first choice university are in Japanese only ! nothing in English !!! And it would be very hard for me . is there any one else facing the same problem? even if I study japanese for one year, again it is hard to pass the exams in Japanese ....please share you ideas and advices... i am so stressed...

Gen23@07

後輩
Reaction score
hello guys,

Hi Sunny, perhaps you should talk to your embassy and the professor as well, so that you can be placed in your second preferred university.
All the best.

Alexaandra12

後輩
Reaction score
Did anyone's embassy exactly tell them when in December they're gonna reveal the results? Haha, I'm usually a patient person but this wait is kinda killing me .

Also, what are you guys going to be most looking forward to when you become research student? I

Santanu

Kouhai
Reaction score
hello guys,

Hey Sunny . I think before the 1st chaise University's Prof. accept you, please contact with that Prof. And gently tell him/her about the language problem. And ask him/her not to accept you in their University so that MEXT will contact the your next preference.
But as per my knowledge from the regular master's student from MEXT, some of the classes in the master's course are taken into Japanese. So be confirm about that through the admission offices of your preferred Universities or through the concerned Prof.
That was my opinion. Hope another people will agree with me.
All the best. Keep Hope. Everything will be fine with you.

Santanu

Kouhai
Reaction score
Did anyone's embassy exactly tell them when in December they're gonna reveal the results? Haha, I'm usually a patient person but this wait is kinda killing me .

Also, what are you guys going to be most looking forward to when you become research student? I
I hope the same situation is to every applicants who are waiting to hear from embassy.
In this case Our embassy(India) told us they probably call the selected applicants from last week of December. Still some of us are bit positive with congratulations mail from our Prospective Supervisor.

Meanwhile we've created a WhatsApp group, if you wish you may join with us. Here is the link bellow.
WhatsApp Group Invite

fanfan13

Kouhai
Reaction score
hello guys,

I can only say please consult about this with your first choice professor and find the best solution together.

And also please don't say it is hard before you experience it, who knows perhaps in one year time you will master Japanese if you work hard. Be confident :)

Quingueni

後輩
Reaction score
hello guys,

Almost what is happening with me, but my professor told me that I can still write my exams and give my works in English, so japanese will be only use in the class, and beside it I will have some subjects in English, I can always communicate with my professors in English. He said is not a big deal I can survive. The I thought if was done before, then it can be done by me too, easy things does not attract me much. Life is all about challenges.

Andrik

Kouhai
Reaction score
I think the profs. know that you can choice 3 universities but just end up with only one, and they can understand this situation. But you should wait until having the final result of your assigned university from embassy (around next January). Don't say anything now because currently nothing is 100% sure.
In my case I'm waiting for the official announcement in order to mail the other professor telling him the news, but since said professor approached you first maybe you could tell him that you still haven't gotten any official announcements from your Embassy, but that if that's really the case you are sad to hear that and that you are grateful to him (but phrase it better xD)
This is the first time I've heard about this. So, basically you second choice's professor told you that you didn't make it to their university? It means second choice university also got notified by MEXT, right? Did the professor mention the reason why you didn't get accepted in that university?

I don't know what to do if I were in your position, because we haven't received any official results from the embassy yet. If we did, at least we could say to the professor that it was MEXT who decided what university we got placed in (without saying about priorities) so it's all MEXT's decision. An awardee said to me that the professor will understand if we say that.

It's normal to feel that way if we asked for more than one LOA. This is why my lecturers back then said that I should reject the other professor in the beginning and only requested for one LOA, one of the reasons is to avoid this kind of uncomfortable situation. But I didn't listen to them and now I don't know what to say to my second choice professor if MEXT places me in my first choice university.
A little update to my situation:

To clarify, the 2nd choice university got a list of the people who MEXT is sending them, and I wasn't on the list. So the 2nd choice didn't get notified at all per say, but rather they can indirectly determine who didn't make it to their school.

In the end, I decided to withdraw from the 2nd school, since it's clear I am not receiving the MEXT Scholarship with them. (I was accepted into the graduate school earlier, independently of the MEXT process.) I sent an email to the 2nd prof, explaining that unofficially MEXT didn't select me for this school, but I might be selected for another, thanking him for his time and help too.

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful advice: Alyssa, Sayu, and Fanfan. I thought long and hard about what you've said (maybe a little longer than I should have). In the end, I felt that the prof was sure I wasn't coming to them and they were just waiting for me to confirm this; I didn't want to keep them hanging on any longer. Moreover, I felt a black cloud of guilt hanging over my head, and now that I've replied, I feel some sort of relief.

So now I'm down to just one university, which I will very likely get accepted into, but still not officially. I hope I haven't shot myself in the foot here. Hahaha :emoji_sweat_smile:

L. H.

Registered
Reaction score
Today i got an email from the Embassy in my country and i got the scholarship!!!!
Going to Japan next april.
Kyushu University!! Economics
Hope you get the call or email ASAP!