What's new

Google Auto ads

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I wish we could do without advertisements, but even in times of automatic adblocking, they contribute partly to our not insignificant monthly server and software bills. Today, I have implemented Google Auto ads.

Google Auto ads are utilizing artificial intelligence to automatically manage ad placements and ad optimization for publishers. Here at JREF, we have disabled the nastier ad formats, such as
  • anchor ads (mobile ads that stick to the edge of the user's screen and can easily be dismissed)
  • vignette ads (full-screen mobile ads that appear between page loads on your site and stick to the edge of the screen)
We will run those ads for several days to see how effective/intrusive/useful they are.

I do understand that advertisements can be a nuisance. However, if you intend to support us please do consider whitelisting jref.com in your browser's ad blocking settings.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration! :geek:

mdchachi

Staff member
Reaction score
I turned off my ad-blocker but I don't see any ads when I'm in a thread like this one which is where I am 99% of the time. If I go to the top of Forums then I see one.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I turned off my ad-blocker but I don't see any ads when I'm in a thread like this one which is where I am 99% of the time. If I go to the top of Forums then I see one.
I reckon Google's Adsense crawler needs to reindex the site, as we turned ads off for over a week and, on top of that, changed the URL format. Current ad coverage hovers around 37% and will increase over the next few days.

Thanks for testing! :giggle:

salyavin

Kouhai
Donor
Reaction score
I do have you whitelisted and I see an add for unicef at the bottom and SAT prep at the top.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
FYI: although a majority of our visitors and members uses ad blockers and will not note any difference, I have decided to disable Google Auto ads, as I found them highly annoying. Unfortunately, Google offers no provision for setting a maximum number of ads per page which often resulted in stacked graphics and ads in places where they were clearly not supposed to appear.

We might resort to implementing Googe advertisement in the near future, but limit it to one or two ads per page. Remember, they do contribute to - though not cover - our recurring server and software outlay. ;)

salyavin

Kouhai
Donor
Reaction score
I see no you put an add at the bottom, no problem at all.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I see no you put an add at the bottom, no problem at all.
Yes indeed, we’re experimenting with different ad formats. Every penny counts. ;)